Gaz du Cameroun conducts batch drilling at Logbaba Gas Project


Victoria Oil and Gas subsidiary in Cameroon, Gaz du Cameroun (GDC), has successfully drilled, cased and cemented the uppermost 18? inches section of the La-107 well to a depth of 400m at the Logbaba Gas Project.

This comes after the spudding of well La-107 on 1 November.

As planned, operations on La-107 were suspended and the rig was moved 10m along the rail system to the La-108 well location. The rail-mounted drilling rig, 1500 HP Komako 1, was used in this programme, which is owned and operated by Savannah Oil Services Cameroon.

Well La-108 was spudded on the 12 November and has been drilled and cased to a depth of 400m. 

Savannah is currently drilling the 17½ inch hole section on La-108. After completion, the rig will be skidded back to the La-107 well to drill its 17½ inch hole section.

The gas bearing target horizon, from where the wells will start production, lies in the Upper Cretaceous (Campanian and Santonian) Logbaba Formation. The formation is a thick sequence of interbedded sands and shales identified between 1,700m and 3,200m underneath the surface.

"Well La-108 was spudded on the 12 November and has been drilled and cased to a depth of 400m."

The Logbaba drilling campaign is planned as a ‘batch drilling’ operation.

In a batch drilling operation, the rig is shifted back and forth between the wells, enabling advancement through all the hole sections until the target depth is achieved.

The Komako 1 rail-mounted drilling rig is designed for batch drilling operations.

The batch drilling is a cost-effective procedure that offers efficiency as materials and services can be employed on both wells for each hole section and then demobilise it when no longer required. This is not possible under conventional approach.

GDC owns a 60% participating interest and operates the onshore Logbaba Gas Project. RSM Production Corporation, an affiliate of Grynberg Petroleum of Colorado, owns the remaining 40% participating interest. The Logbaba Gas Project supplies natural gas to industries in the Douala region of Cameroon.