Senex Energy has announced the discovery of new oil on the western flank of the South Australian Cooper Basin.
The company said that oil shows at Spitfire-1, which is located in permit PEL 104, were seen from 1,722m to 1,731m in the mid-Birkhead Formation within a developed stratigraphic channel that includes good quality sand reservoir.
A number of drill stem tests (DSTs) were conducted across the mid-Birkhead Formation, after reaching a total depth of 1,840m.
The well, however, has been classified as non-commercial and is being plugged and abandoned.
Senex managing director Ian Davies said the discovery of oil in a new stratigraphic trap was very positive for the joint venture.
"The exploration well was drilled in the deepest section of the mid-Birkhead Formation and encountered a developed stratigraphic channel as prognosed by seismic modelling. The well has confirmed the presence of a petroleum system at the Spitfire field," said Davies.
An oil-water contact within a 10m section of the tested reservoir was encountered and reservoir quality with water flowing to surface at 164 barrels per day was proved.
The final DST was conducted across the top 3.5m interval from 1,719m to 1,722.5m, and recovered 2.5 barrels of clean oil with no water produced from a lower quality section of sand.
Once all relevant well data has been assessed, follow up wells will be considered to further test this reservoir updip from Spitfire-1.
The drilling rig Ensign Rig #48 will now move to the Growler-8 development well targeting increased oil production from the Growler oil field in PRL 15.
Senex holds a 60% interest in PEL 104 and is operator of the joint venture, with the remaining 40% interest held by Beach Energy.
Image: The Spitfire-1 well is located on the western flank of the South Australian Cooper Basin. Photo: Courtesy of Senex Energy.